5 cups buckwheat flour
5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups coconut palm sugar
1 3/4 cups almond milk
2 tbsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups mashed banana
3/4 cup coconut oil
For the frosting…
8 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups vegan margarine
You will also need, purple, blue green, yellow, orange, and red colour gel.
1. Preheat oven to 350 °C and grease two 20cm cake tins with coconut oil.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a big bowl.
3. Mix the sugar, almond milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, mashed banana and oil in another bowl.
4. Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and gently fold together with a metal spoon until the flour is completely combined.
5. Divide the cake mix into 6 (each sixth should weigh roughly 300g).
6. Add a small amount (roughly 1/4 tsp) of purple colour gel into one sixth of the mixture and combine until the entire mixture has changed to purple. Do the same for another sixth of the mixture using blue colour gel. Add more gel as needed.
7. Pour the first two cake colours into the two cake tins. Ease the mix around the tin with a metal spoon then lightly tap the tin to ensure an even distribution. Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven, then turn out and cool upside down on a wired rack.
8. Wash tins and grease. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the other four cakes adding a different colour gel (green, yellow, orange and red) to each cake mix.
9. While the last two cakes are baking, make the frosting by combining the ingredients in a bowl, first with a spoon and, once crumbly, with a whisk until light and fluffy.
10. Place four strips of baking paper along the edges of the cake stand to create a square centre. If a cake stand is not available, turn a bowl upside down and place a plate on top. Place a spoonful of frosting in the middle of the cakestand or plate to keep the cake in place.
11. Place the first cake (purple) on the cake stand and cover with a thin layer of frosting. Repeat for each cake in the following order: blue, green, yellow, orange, red.
12. Apply a crumb layer by roughly covering the cake in frosting, making sure all the gaps are filled and crumbs held in place. Rotate the cake stand to make application of the frosting easier. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
13. Remove cake from fridge and apply a second layer of frosting. To create a smooth finish, dip the icing knife in warm water, wipe dry, then glide over the frosting.