This delicious baked beans recipe is a staple in our household. During these cold winter months, there’s nothing more satisfying than waking up to a tasty breakfast that’s warm, rich and ever-so-slightly indulgent.
We’ve spent a while refining the recipe to bring you this rich, sweet, and satisfying take on the traditional baked beans. Sometimes we add a bit of chilli powder if we want an extra kick. Once you’ve tried this simple recipe there’ll be no going back to the supermarket baked beans.
1 white onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp paprika
1 x 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
2 x 300g tinned haricot beans (total 390g drained weight)
Drizzle of olive oil
1. Heat a little oil in a saucepan. Once hot add in the chopped onion and fry for 3 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the chopped garlic to the saucepan and cook for a further minute.
3. Add the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, tomato puree and paprika to the saucepan. Stir through and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Pour the tinned tomatoes into the saucepan, bring to boil and simmer for 6-8 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
5. Meanwhile, drain, rinse and dry the beans, then transfer to the saucepan and cook for a further 6-8 minutes.
6. Serve the proper baked beans on toast with vegan margarine and top with a sprinkling of chopped chives.