This simple and comforting pasta has a generous 37g of protein per serving.
Harissa gives this dish a lovely warmth and we make a creamy sauce using blended beans.
- The puy lentils we use are cooked and they come in vacuum-sealed packs. Usually they’ll be mixed with a few herbs and sometimes spices, which add an extra layer of flavour to the dish. If you can’t find packs of puy lentils, you can use 2 tins of cooked lentils instead, simply drain and rinse them, then add them to the pan.
- Sometimes we also use pitted green olives which are marinated in herbs, which is another great way to add extra flavour to the dish.
- You can easily make this dish gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta.
- Rose harissa paste is less spicy compared to regular harissa paste. If you prefer to use the latter, we recommend adding less to the sauce and adjusting the amount to your liking.
- 1 x 400g (14.1oz) tin of cannellini beans, drained + rinsed
- 250ml (1 cup) unsweetened soy milk
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 400g (14.1oz) rigatoni, or gluten-free pasta
- olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled + chopped
- 4 tbsp rose harissa paste
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 250g (8.8oz) packs puy lentils, see notes
- 80g (2.8oz) pitted green olives, halved (see notes)
- vegan yoghurt, to serve
- 1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Add the beans, milk, nutritional yeast and lemon juice and blend until smooth, then set aside for later.
- Next add the rigatoni to a saucepan of salted boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to turn brown.
- Stir the rose harissa paste and tomato purée into the pan and cook for a minute.
- Next add the lentils and a pinch of salt, then cook through for another minute.
- Now pour in the creamy sauce from earlier and heat it through on a low heat for a few minutes.
- The pasta should now be ready. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pasta straight into the sauce, adding some of the pasta water as you go to loosen it. Then add the olives and stir well to combine.
- To serve, add the pasta to plates and top with vegan yoghurt and chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!