Our pasanda is a mild, creamy curry that tastes absolutely incredible. Our simple vegan version uses tofu and plant-based cream and yoghurt. If you ask us, it’s even better than the ‘real’ thing.
- Depending on how firm your tofu is, you may need to press it to remove extra water. Simply place the tofu on top of kitchen paper and between two plates, then carefully balance a heavy object on top. Press for 20-30 minutes.
- If you can’t find vegan cream, simply substitute this for full-fat tinned coconut milk.
- vegetable oil
- 1 x 400g (14.1oz) pack of extra firm tofu, see notes
- 2 portions of basmati rice
- 1 onion, peeled + diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 thumb ginger, minced
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp plant-based yoghurt, we use coconut yoghurt
- 250ml (8.5oz) vegan cream, see notes
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- salt + pepper
- 1 small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 small handful of toasted almond flakes (optional)
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium - high heat. Then use your fingers to break up the tofu into bite-sized pieces straight into the pan, and fry for 10-15 minutes or until golden and crispy on all sides. Then transfer the tofu to a bowl and put the pan back on the heat.
- Add another drizzle of oil to the pan and fry the onion for 7 minutes or until translucent.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Add the garlic, ginger and all the spices to the pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Next stir the yoghurt, cream, ground almonds, maple syrup and generous pinch of salt and pepper into the pan. Then add a few tablespoons of water to loosen up the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes until hot, then stir the tofu into the sauce and heat through for a minute.
- Divide the rice between 2 bowls and spoon the curry over the top.
- We like to finish with a sprinkling of chopped coriander and toasted almond flakes.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!