Za’atar is one of our favourite spice blends. It’s a combination of dried herbs, sesame seeds and sumac. In this recipe we throw this Middle-Eastern gem all over pittas to create this delicious snack.
- To make this recipe gluten-free you can use gluten-free pittas.
- If you can’t find za’atar you can use a mixture of dried oregano, dried thyme, sesame seeds and sumac instead.
- 6 pittas, or gluten-free pittas
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp za’atar
- 2 tsp sumac
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- salt + pepper
- sesame seeds (we use white and black)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F.
- Cut pittas into triangles then add them to a mixing bowl along with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Next add the za’atar, sumac, garlic powder and big pinches of salt and pepper.
- Toss with your hands until the pittas are evenly coated in the seasoning, then lay the pittas out onto a large baking tray (you may need to use two baking trays).
- Top the pittas with the sesame seeds then bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden and crunchy.
- Remove the pitta crisps from the oven and finish with a final sprinkling of salt.