This delicious vegan ricotta is made using tofu and it has a sweet cheesecake-like flavour.
If you love your brunch on the sweet side, then this is definitely for you – and it’s also a great after-dinner treat.
It’s packed with 19g of protein per serving and comes together in 10 minutes!
- You can also serve this with fresh fruit, such as blueberries, raspberries, sliced banana or kiwi.
- The tofu should be firm, not soft like silken tofu. The latter will create a very runny ricotta.
- We use extra virgin olive oil, which has a more fruity and complex flavour compared to regular olive oil. It also retains more heart-healthy fats and antioxidants because it’s less processed.
- This tofu ricotta will have a sweet flavour, almost like a cheesecake. It’s not something we eat every morning, but we love to make it for brunch on a weekend or even as an after dinner treat!
- You can adjust the flavour to your liking. Add more maple syrup if you like it extra sweet or more lemon zest if you like it more zesty.
Whipped ‘Ricotta’ On Toast
- 1 x 400 g block of firm tofu, drained
- 2 tsp maple syrup, plus extra for topping
- 2 tbsp olive oil, see notes
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- salt + pepper
- 1 lemon
- 4 large slices of toast
- Add the tofu, maple syrup, olive oil, vanilla extract, a small pinch of salt and 3 tbsp of water to a high-speed blender. Next add the juice and zest from half of the lemon (save the remaining lemon half for later), then blend until smooth.
- Add more water and keep blending until the mixture resembles a thick and silky-smooth consistency. Then give it a taste and adjust the flavour to your liking i.e. add more maple syrup if you like it extra sweet or more lemon zest if you like it more zesty.
- Spoon the tofu ricotta on top of the toast or - if you want something a bit more fancy - add the tofu ricotta to a piping bag and pipe it over the toast. We love to top with a small drizzle of maple syrup, extra lemon zest from the remaining lemon half and a small pinch of pepper. Store leftovers in an airt-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Enjoy!