For the aubergine:
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
3 cups cornflakes (suitable for vegans)
For the sauce:
4 garlic cloves
3 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
3 tbsp agave syrup
1 tbsp plain flour
1 x 400ml tinned coconut milk
For the cauliflower rice…
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 cup fresh coriander leaves
Plus a little olive oil for frying.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Cut aubergine into 1cm thick discs.
3. In a bowl, combine the flour with salt & pepper, turmeric and enough water to make a runny paste.
4. Crush the cornflakes and transfer the crumbs to a plate.
5. Dip the aubergine slices in the flour mixture, then cover with breadcrumbs and place on a baking tray.
6. Drizzle a little olive oil in saucepan over a medium heat. Once hot, fry the aubergine slices in batches for 5 minutes on each side, adding more oil as needed.
7. Place the aubergine slices on baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
8. For the cauliflower rice, grate the cauliflower and fry in coconut oil until slightly golden (about 10 minutes).
9. Meanwhile, fry the onion until tender. Then add the garlic, curry powder and garam masala, and fry for another minute.
10. Add the agave syrup and flour to the onion, and stir until a paste has formed.
11. Gradually add the coconut milk to the onion mix, stirring continuously to make a smooth sauce. Leave to simmer for a few minutes.
12. Roughly chop the coriander and combine with the cauliflower rice.
13. Serve the aubergine slices with the cauliflower rice and pour the katsu sauce over the top.