We absolutely adore this low-calorie tomato soup. It only requires nine ingredients and it’s a great meal-prep recipe.
- It’s really important the tomatoes you use are ripe! Otherwise the soup might taste slightly bitter and the colour will be quite dull.
- If you want to use this soup as a meal-prep recipe, simply store the soup in an air-tight container and it will last in the fridge for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- We use an oat-based single cream which you’ll be able to find in most UK supermarkets. Alternatively you could use a soy-based cream.
Creamy Tomato + Basil Soup
Creamy Tomato + Basil Soup 🍅🌱Posted by So Vegan on Friday, 29 October 2021
- 900g / 31.7oz ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 onion, sliced in quarters
- 1 bulb of garlic, trim about 0.5cm (1/4") off the top
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 400ml / 13.5fl.oz vegetable stock
- 1 handful of basil, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 125ml / 4.2fl.oz vegan single cream, plus extra to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan / 425°F.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and garlic bulb to a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Make sure the tomato halves are cut side up and the garlic bulb is cut side down, then roast for 35 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and leave the veggies to cool.
- Once cool enough to touch, peel and discard the skins from the tomatoes and onion and squeeze the garlic cloves out of the bulb.
- Then add the peeled tomatoes, onion and garlic to a large saucepan along with the vegetable stock, basil, balsamic vinegar, single cream and pinches of salt and pepper to taste.
- Next blend the soup with a handheld blender until smooth (alternatively blend the ingredients in a blender, then add the soup back to the saucepan) and warm up the soup on a low-medium heat until hot.
- Divide the soup between bowls and serve with an extra pinch of black pepper, a swirl of vegan single cream and a few basil leaves.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!