- This recipe can easily double up as meal-prep. You can make the carrot ‘salmon’ ahead of time and leave it to marinate in the fridge for up to 2 days. The cream cheese will also keep for 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- This recipe can also be gluten free. Simply use gluten-free bagels and make sure the liquid smoke you buy is also gluten-free.
- A big shout out to the amazing Made In Hackney – a fantastic charity close to our hearts – for sharing this recipe with us.
Carrot ‘Salmon’ & Cream Cheese Bagel
Here’s a cheeky throwback to our delicious Carrot ‘Salmon’ & Cream Cheese Bagel 😍 Looking for tasty vegan recipes? Check out our cookbook So Vegan In 5: sovegan.co/cookbookPosted by So Vegan on Monday, 19 August 2019
Carrot 'Salmon' and Cream Cheese BagelRoxy, So Vegan This vegan salmon bagel is divine and the capers and dill perfectly capture the taste of the sea Print This
For the carrot salmon:
- Handful of fresh dill
- 1/2 large sheet of nori
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp capers from a jar
- 1 tbsp brine from capers
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 4 medium carrots
For the vegan cream cheese:
- 250g / 8.8oz raw cashews
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 bagels
- Transfer the cashews to a small bowl, cover with hot water straight from the kettle and leave to soak while you carry out the next steps.
- To make the marinade, roughly chop the dill and use scissors to cut the nori into small pieces, then add both to a large flat-bottomed bowl along with the lemon juice, olive oil, capers, caper brine, liquid smoke, and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- Using a peeler, peel the carrots into ribbons width ways and add them to a saucepan full of boiling water on a medium-high heat. Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Drain the carrots, rinse with cold water and add them to the marinade. Stir through so the carrots are coated in the marinade and set to one side for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight so the flavours absorb into the carrot.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese by adding the cashews to a high-powered blender or food processor along with the garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, a generous pinch of salt and 100ml (3.4 fl.oz) of water. Blend until smooth, then transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When you’re ready to serve, cut the bagels in half and toast them on until golden brown. Then spread the cream cheese over the bottom half of each bagel and add a generous serving of the carrot ‘salmon’. Top with a handful of rocket and finally place the top half of the bagel on top.