This is hands down one of our favourite lunchtime meals.
We use mashed chickpeas to create a similar texture to tuna, then we throw in some classic ingredients.
Fresh dill, gherkins, vegan mayonnaise, mustard…we’re talking about serious flavour!
The textures are also unreal.
There’s the crusty toasted bread, the stretchy melted vegan cheese and then of course the ‘tuna’ mixture.
Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Melt
Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Melt Did you know we also have a new cookbook? ONE POT VEGAN is out now 👉 sovegan.co/opvaPosted by So Vegan on Wednesday, 21 October 2020
Chickpea ‘Tuna’ MeltRoxy, So Vegan This is hands down one of our favourite lunchtime meals. We use mashed chickpeas to create a similar texture to tuna, then… Print This
- 1 x 400g / 14.1oz tin of chickpeas
- 1 spring onion
- handful of fresh dill
- 2 gherkins
- 60g / 2oz tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 2 heaped tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- vegan margarine
- 4-6 slices of bread
- 1 tomato
- 6-9 slices of vegan cheese
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then transfer them to a mixing bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until the chickpeas have broken down.
- Thinly slice the spring onion, roughly chop the dill and dice the gherkins. Add them to the mixing bowl along with the sweetcorn, vegan mayonnaise, juice from the lemon half, Dijon mustard and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Stir until fully combined.
- To make one sandwich, spread vegan margarine across both sides of two slices of bread. Then evenly spoon 2 heaped tablespoons of the chickpea ‘tuna’ mix onto one slice. Next slice the tomato and add a few slices to the sandwich. Finally top with three slices of vegan cheese, then close the sandwich with the second slice of bread. Repeat for the remaining sandwich(es).
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. As soon as the pan is hot, add the first sandwich to the pan chickpea ‘tuna’ side down’ and weigh it down with a heavy skillet or a frying pan with a tin on top. Fry for 4-5 minutes, then (carefully) flip and repeat until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the sandwich from the frying pan, slice in half and add the next sandwich to the frying pan. Repeat step 4, then tuck in!