A gorgeous creamy pasta is difficult to beat. We also throw in peas and asparagus to give this Alfredo a more veggie twist.
- It’s important you slice the asparagus thinly enough so they cook quickly in the pan. If your asparagus is quite thick, we’d recommend slicing twice lengthways and then slicing in half.
- You can make this recipe gluten-free by using a gluten-free pasta.
- If you want to make this recipe soy-free, we recommend using oat milk or almond milk when make the sauce.
- 80g (2.8oz) cashews
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled + sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled + chopped
- 120g (4.2oz) frozen peas
- 100g (3.5 oz) asparagus, sliced (see notes)
- 160g (5.6oz) pasta, we use tagliatelle
- 250ml (8.5fl.oz) plant-based milk (1 cup)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt + pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- Transfer the cashews to a small bowl and cover with hot water straight from the kettle, then set to one side.
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat and drizzle with a little oil. Once hot, add the onion and fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently until they begin to brown. Then add the garlic, peas and asparagus to the frying pan and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as per the packet instructions. Drain the cashews and add them to a blender along with the milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth, then pour into the frying pan and heat through for a minute.
- Drain the pasta into the pan, adding a generous few splashes of pasta water as you go to help loosen the sauce.
- Season to taste with another pinch of salt and pepper then, if you want to, serve with a sprinkling of mint.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!