Tofu katsu curry. Simple, elegant and totally delicious.
Surprisingly, cornflakes aren’t always vegan. Tut.
We use a gluten-free version, which is vegan-friendly. So worth giving that a go if you’re having trouble finding them.
We hope you enjoy the recipe,
Roxy & Ben
Tofu Katsu CurryRoxy, So Vegan Tofu gets a bad rep. This is a fun and delicious way to jazz up this classic vegan ingredient. Print This
For the tofu:
- 35g (1.2oz) plain flour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) plant based milk
- 80g (2.8oz) vegan-friendly cornflakes
- 300g (10.5oz) extra firm tofu
For the sauce:
- 1/2 onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml (10.1fl.oz) vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 150g jasmine rice
- 2 handfuls of mixed salad leaves
- 1 spring onion
The cupboard essentials:
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F fan-assisted.
- On a small plate combine the flour with generous pinches of salt and pepper. Transfer the milk to another separate plate (use a plate with raised edges to prevent the milk spilling!). Pour the cornflakes into a tea towel and crush them with a rolling pin until fine, then transfer to a third separate plate.
- Drain the tofu and press it gently to remove any excess moisture. Then slice the tofu into 1cm (1/3 inch) thick slices, then coat all over in the flour mixture, then dunk fully in the milk and finally cover all over in the crushed cornflakes.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and once hot add the tofu slices and fry for 2-3 mins on each side, until crispy. Then transfer the tofu slices to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the onion and slice the carrots into 0.5cm (1/5 inch) thick rings, then and add both to the frying pan you used earlier (add an extra splash of olive oil to the pan if needed) and fry for 7 minutes on a medium heat.
- Peel and dice the garlic, then add it to the frying pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, garam masala and plain flour to the pan, and fry for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, bring the sauce to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Stir 2 tbsp of coconut cream into the sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper to taste. Then transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water until it’s smooth and runny.
- To serve, place a portion of rice into each bowl with a handful of mixed salad leaves, then pour in half the sauce for each portion and top with a few slices of the tofu.
- To finish, slice the spring onion thinly and sprinkle over each serving. Enjoy!