One of the best feelings in the world is when we manage to develop vegan versions of foods we used to eat before we were vegan.
We use jackfruit in this recipe instead of chicken for its stringy texture. Then we pile in loads of herbs and spices for a deliciously warm and aromatic flavour.
And have you heard the news…? Our debut cookbook So Vegan in 5 is out right now.
The book features over 100 super simple 5-ingredient recipes, making it easier than ever before to cook delicious vegan food.
Roxy & Ben
Kentucky Fried Jackfruit
Full recipe: sovegan.co/kfj
Posted by So Vegan on Sunday, 27 January 2019
Kentucky Fried JackfruitRoxy, So Vegan One of the best feelings in the world is when we manage to develop vegan versions of foods we used to eat… Print This
- 1 x 565g (20oz) tin young green jackfruit in brine
- vegetable oil
- small handful parsley
For the spicy coating:
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the batter:
- 60g (2.1oz) plain flour, plus extra for coating
- 250ml (8.5fl.oz) plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 125ml (4.2fl.oz) water, if required
The cupboard essentials:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F fan-assisted and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, then slice each piece into bite-sized chunks and trim the hard core ends. Then add to a mixing bowl along along with all the ingredients for the spicy coating and stir until fully combined. Transfer the jackfruit to the lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, turning the jackfruit pieces halfway through.
- Meanwhile, combine the batter ingredients in a separate mixing bowl until smooth and runny, and set to one side. You can add up to 125ml of water if the batter is too thick. Next, add a few tablespoons of plain flour to a separate plate and set to one side. Then place a frying pan on a medium-high heat and pour enough vegetable oil in so that the oil is 1cm deep.
- Once the jackfruit has finished baking, test the oil is hot enough by dropping a small amount of the batter into the pan. If it sizzles it is ready for the jackfruit.
- Dip the jackfruit pieces in the batter, then in the flour, then place in the hot oil and fry for 30 seconds on each side or until crispy and golden brown, then place on kitchen towel to soak up the oil. Note: we prefer to fry the jackfruit in two batches.
- Roughly chop the parsley and serve the jackfruit with a sprinkling of salt, parsley and with your favourite dipping sauce, such as vegan mayo or ketchup.