If you love apple crumble and you love mince pies, then be prepared for a flavour sensation like never before.
These gloriously festive treats are a total joy.
Don’t fret, mincemeat doesn’t actually contain meat! It’s usually mixture of chopped fruit, spices and spirits.
We combine the shop-bought mincemeat with stewed apples, then we top the pies with a sweet crumble.
Simple and yum!
The pastry is really simple, too.
All you need are flour, sugar, vegan margarine and a pinch of salt.
Roll it into a ball, then leave it to chill while you prepare the remaining components.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Some brands of mincemeat include suet, which isn’t vegan. But lots of supermarkets will stock vegan-friendly brands so make sure you check the labels.
- We use Bramley apples which are perfect for cooking because they keep their tangy flavour. But you can use any apple you can get your hands on.
For the pastry:
- 150g / 5.3oz vegan margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 230g / 8.1oz plain flour
- 40g / 1.4oz caster sugar
- pinch of salt
For the apples:
- 2 Bramley apples
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- squeeze of lemon juice
For the crumble:
- 75g / 2.6oz plain flour
- 50g / 1.7oz light brown sugar
- 50g / 1.7oz vegan margarine
12 tsp vegan mincemeat
- For the pastry, combine flour, sugar and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl. Rub in the margarine (add 1-2 tsp of water if the pastry doesn’t hold). Knead briefly then roll into a ball and wrap in baking paper and refrigerate while you carry out the next steps.
- Peel apples, remove cores and dice into 1cm chunks. Add to a small saucepan along with sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and 4 tbsp of water. Simmer on low for 10 mins, stirring occasionally until apples are soft.
- For the crumble, add flour, sugar and margarine to a mixing bowl. Rub the margarine between your fingers into the dry ingredients until you reach a crumble like consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F and grease a 12-hole muffin or mince pie tray with vegan margarine.
- Next flour a worktop and rolling pin and roll out pastry to 3mm thick. Use a 7cm / 2.8” round cutter to cut out 12 circles of pastry. Re-roll the pastry as you go.
- Line base and sides of each muffin hole with a circle of pastry. Add a teaspoon or so of apple mixture into each hole followed by a heaped tsp of vegan mincemeat. Finish with a sprinkling of crumble. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until golden. It's important to the mince pies from the tray while they're still hot. These are best when eaten warm!
- Enjoy all year – not just at Christmas.