Chermoula is a North African dressing full of seriously fresh and bold flavours. In this recipe we serve it as a dip to compliment our simple, crispy and delicious sweetcorn fritters.
- We use fresh corn, but you can also used tinned or frozen (just be sure to defrost it first).
- If you don’t have a food processor you can always make the chermoula in a pestle and mortar. Simply add all the ingredients and pound until it resembles a dip.
- You can make this gluten-free by simply using gluten-free flour.
- We like to use extra virgin olive oil in the chermoula rather than olive oil for its enhanced flavour.
- 70g (2.5oz) plain flour, or gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 125ml (4.5fl.oz) water
- 300g (10.6oz) corn kernels, we use fresh
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled + minced
- 1 small handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- olive oil
For the chermoula:
- 1 large handful of fresh coriander
- 1 large handful of fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1/4 thumb ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch of chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, ground cumin, baking powder and water with a generous pinch of salt. Then whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Next add the corn, red pepper, carrot, garlic, parsley and spring onions to the bowl with the batter and toss with your hands until the veggies are fully coated in the batter.
- Drizzle a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot, take a small handful of the fritter mixture and add it to the pan. Repeat with as many fritters as you can fit into the pan and press down on the fritters with the back of a spoon.
- Fry the fritters for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all of the fritter mixture has been used up.
- Next, for the chermoula, add the coriander, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, ginger, ground cumin, chilli flakes and olive oil to a food processor and process until smooth. Note: add more oil or water if the consistency is too thick and scrape down the sides of the food processor as you go.
- Serve the fritters alongside the chermoula. Yum!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!