Rich, flavoursome and really simple, this vegan-twist on the traditional Italian Bolognese is a staple in our household. We absolutely love the richness from the wine and the protein-packed lentils give the recipe a real hearty taste.
Honestly, you’d be surprised just how often we reach for this recipe after a long day at work! Apart from the pasta, you can cook everything in one pan, and we usually throw in some grated vegan cheese when we combine the sauce with the pasta at the end. Have a go and don’t forget to tell us what you think!
Mushroom + Lentil Bolognese
- oil, for frying
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 celery, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary, chopped
- 250 g (8.8 oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan red wine
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tin of green lentils, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 250 g (8.8 oz) dry pasta
- 100 g (3.5 oz) vegan cheese, grated
- Heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, celery, onion, carrot, rosemary and thyme. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the red wine, tomatoes, lentils, bay leaves, tomato puree and salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as per packet instructions.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the bolognese sauce, along with most of the grated cheese.
- Serve with the remaining cheese.
this looks amazing, do you have the calorie information by chance?
Hi Jess, don’t have the calorie count at the moment but it is something that we are working on. Many thanks, Roxy (So Vegan)
What brand of vegan cheese do you recommend?
Hi Mel, we’re fans of Violife 🙂 Thanks, Roxy (So Vegan)
What size tin of chopped tomatoes?
Hi Bridget, we use a 400g can of chopped tomatoes. Thanks, Roxy (So Vegan)
On my first week of going vegan for cancer prevention. I have Lynch syndrome which makes me susceptible to colon, uterine and ovarian cancer. This dish and video is AWESOME and so easy to make.
Hi Crashley, glad you enjoyed the recipe 🙂 Take care, Roxy (So Vegan)
How much is a tin of lentils? I use dry lentils in a bag.
Hi Rita we use a 400g tin
Perhaps these are dumb questions buuuut do you mean a whole garlic or one clove? And when you say tomato purée do you mean pureeing up an actual tomato or tomato sauce or paste in a can?
Perhaps these are dumb questions buuuut do you mean a whole garlic or one clove? And when you say tomato purée do you mean pureeing up an actual tomato or tomato sauce/ paste in a can?
Hi Crystal, thanks for reaching out. We mean one clove of garlic and we use store bought tomato puree. It’s thick in consistency and deep in flavour. Hope this helps. Thanks, Roxy (So Vegan)
Thanks Dave 🙂 Roxy (So Vegan)
Hi Roxy, I am trying this tonight. It is rather a lot so can you freeze leftovers. Thanks Paula
Hi, this recipe is awesome.. My husband has kidney disease. He cannot have tomatos. Can I use an alternative product.