Rich, flavoursome and really simple, this vegan-twist on the traditional Italian Bolognese is a staple in our household. We absolutely love the richness from the wine and the protein-packed lentils give the recipe a real hearty taste.
Honestly, you’d be surprised just how often we reach for this recipe after a long day at work! Apart from the pasta, you can cook everything in one pan, and we usually throw in some grated vegan cheese when we combine the sauce with the pasta at the end. Have a go and don’t forget to tell us what you think!
Mushroom + Lentil Bolognese
- oil, for frying
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 celery, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary, chopped
- 250 g (8.8 oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan red wine
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tin of green lentils, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 250 g (8.8 oz) dry pasta
- 100 g (3.5 oz) vegan cheese, grated
- Heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, celery, onion, carrot, rosemary and thyme. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the red wine, tomatoes, lentils, bay leaves, tomato puree and salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as per packet instructions.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the bolognese sauce, along with most of the grated cheese.
- Serve with the remaining cheese.