- You could try another type of bean if you don’t have haricot.
1 white onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp paprika
1 x 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
2 x 300g tinned haricot beans (total 390g drained weight)
Drizzle of olive oil
1. Heat a little oil in a saucepan. Once hot add in the chopped onion and fry for 3 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the chopped garlic to the saucepan and cook for a further minute.
3. Add the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, tomato puree and paprika to the saucepan. Stir through and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Pour the tinned tomatoes into the saucepan, bring to boil and simmer for 6-8 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
5. Meanwhile, drain, rinse and dry the beans, then transfer to the saucepan and cook for a further 6-8 minutes.
6. Serve the proper baked beans on toast with vegan margarine.