You really can’t beat homemade baked beans! We use paprika to give this brunch recipe a sweet and peppery flavour.
- You could try another type of bean if you don’t have haricot.
- Use tamari instead of soy sauce to make this gluten-free.
- olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled + chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled + chopped
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, or tamari for gluten-free
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt + pepper
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tin of haricot beans, drained + rinsed
To serve: bread and vegan margarine or butter
- Heat a little oil in a saucepan. Once hot add the onion and fry for 8 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally
- Add the chopped garlic to the saucepan and cook for a further minute.
- Then add the sugar, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, tomato puree, paprika and pinches of salt and pepper to the saucepan. Stir through and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour the tinned tomatoes into the saucepan, bring to a simmer and cook for 6-8 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Then add the haricot beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Once ready, serve the beans on buttered toast.