Our gluten-free brownies use black beans instead of flour and avocado instead of vegan margarine for a healthier twist.
- These flour-less brownies mean they are also gluten-free. This also makes the texture light and extra fudgy.
- We use avocado as a healthier alternative to vegan butter or vegetable oil. Avocado also contains fats, which are unsaturated so they can help to maintain cholesterol levels.
- Cooking times can vary depending on the oven, but try to avoid over-baking the brownies. They should still be gooey in the middle and they’ll harden the longer you leave them out of the oven.
This one is a classic SO VEGAN recipe! Our Black Bean Brownies. Who’s tried these before? 😍
Posted by So Vegan on Friday, 23 July 2021
Black Bean Brownies
- coconut oil
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tin of black beans, drained + rinsed
- 1/2 avocado, flesh only
- 140 g (4.9 oz) light brown sugar, (approx. 1 cup)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g (5.3 oz) dark chocolate, 70%
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F and grease 9 holes of a muffin tray with coconut oil.
- Add the black beans, avocado, sugar, cocoa powder, half the walnuts, baking powder, vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and a pinch of salt to a food processor.
- Melt 120 g (4.2 oz) of the dark chocolate in a double boiler, then transfer to the food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Then evenly distribute the mixture between 9 holes of the muffin tray.
- Roughly chop the remaining chocolate and walnuts and sprinkle over each brownie. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and leave them to cool completely before gently removing each brownie. The longer you leave them to cool, the easier they will be to remove them from the tin. Run a knife around each muffin hole to ease the brownies out.