- Opt for soy-free chocolate to make this recipe soy-free.
- These bars are great for when you’re on the go.
Quinoa Energy Bars
Full recipe: sovegan.co/quinoa
Posted by So Vegan on Tuesday, 26 March 2019
Quinoa Energy BarsRoxy, So Vegan Quinoa is a complete protein so it contains all the amino acids needed to build protein, making these bars the perfect pre or post workout snack. Print This
- 8 medjool dates
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 45g / 1.6oz pumpkin seeds
- 100g / 3.5oz almonds
- 120g / 4.2oz raw quinoa
- 100g / 3.5oz oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- 100g / 3.5oz dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F fan assisted. Line the base and sides of a square 7-inch baking tin with baking paper.
- Transfer the medjool dates to a small bowl, cover with roughly 250ml (1 cup) of hot water straight from the kettle and set to one side to soak while you do the next steps.
- Transfer the sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, quinoa and oats to a large baking tray, and then roast them in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Drain the medjool dates, reserving the water, then remove and discard the stones. Add the dates to a blender along with the chia seeds, 150ml (5 fl.oz) of the reserved date water and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth, then transfer to a large mixing bowl along with the toasted nuts and seeds, the melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and almond butter. Stir everything until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into the lined baking tin and even it out by pushing down with a little baking paper until the mixture is compact.
- Add the dark chocolate to a metal or glass bowl, then place the bowl over a saucepan containing 2cm (approx. 1 inch) of hot water and bring the water to a gentle simmer on a low heat (make sure the water level isn’t high enough so it’s contact with the bowl). Stir the chocolate occasionally. Once it has melted completely (this will take 3-5 minutes), remove the bowl from the heat. Pour the chocolate over the energy bar mixture and tilt the baking tin to ease the chocolate to the edges.
- Leave to one side for roughly 1 hour or until the chocolate sets.
- Slice into 12 bars and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Nutritional information per bar: Calories 261 / Total Fat 16.4g / Sat Fat 5.5g / Carbohydrate 26.8g / Sugars 11.1g / Sodium 26.7mg / Fiber 6g / Protein 6.4g