Occasionally we’re asked what we think is a ‘healthy’ and ‘varied’ diet.
Our response? Eat the rainbow!
Big, bold and fresh colours is often a great way to find lots of the nutrients you need, and this wonderful rainbow salad is a simple and delicious way to give your body a boost.
Cumin is one of our favourite spices. Instead of grinding it down into a powder, here we let the seeds sing and cover the sweet potato in their lovely aroma.
It adds a really distinctive and warming flavour to the salad.
Don’t forget, if you love this, then you’ll totally love our debut 5-ingredient cookbook So Vegan in 5, which is out right now.
Roxy & Ben
Delicious and nutritious! Here’s our new Rainbow Salad ✌️
Full recipe: sovegan.co/rainbow
Posted by So Vegan on Thursday, 21 February 2019
Rainbow SaladBen, So Vegan Big, bold and fresh colours is often a great way to find lots of the nutrients you need, and this wonderful rainbow salad is a simple and delicious way to give your body a boost. Print This
- 140g / 5oz red cabbage
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 500g / 17.6oz sweet potato
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 200g / 7oz dried quinoa
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 100g / 3.5oz kale, stems removed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 160g / 5.6oz tinned sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- large handful of mint, chopped
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp water
- salt and pepper
- pine nuts
- sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 390°F fan-assisted.
- Finely slice the red cabbage and transfer it to a bowl along with the apple cider vinegar. Mix with your hands and leave the bowl to one side while you complete the remaining steps.
- Peel and roughly chop the sweet potato. Transfer to a baking tray along with the cumin seeds, a drizzle of olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Mix with your hands, then transfer the tray to the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the sweet potato has cooked.
- Pour 600ml (20fl.oz) of hot water into a saucepan and add the stock cube. Mix until the cube has fully diluted, then add the quinoa. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the quinoa has cooked.
- Meanwhile, add the kale to a mixing bowl pour over the lemon juice. Use your hands to massage the kale for 4-5 minutes until the leaves have softened.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and use a small spoon to mix everything together, then leave the bowl to one side.
- When everything has finished cooked, start preparing the salad by adding the quinoa to a large mixing bowl, followed by the kale, sweet potato, mint, sweetcorn, radishes, and finally pour over the dressing. Give everything a good mix, then serve with a sprinkling of sunflower seeds and pine nuts. Enjoy!