- Make ahead of time and store in the fridge or freezer for a great meal prep recipe.
Super Simple DhalRoxy, So Vegan Packed with protein and nutrients, this dhal recipe is simple, warming and a go-to for anyone who loves Indian cuisine as much as we do. Print This
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- thumb of ginger (30g / 1oz)
- 4 green chilies
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- handful of fresh coriander (15g / 0.5oz)
- salt + pepper
- Drain and rinse the lentils until the water runs clear. Then add them to a large saucepan along with 1.5 litres (6 cups) of water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes until cooked. Skim off the foam as it gathers at the top.
- Meanwhile, add a little vegetable oil to a frying pan on a medium heat. While the oil heats up, peel and dice the onion then add it to the pan and fry for 5 minutes.
- Next peel and dice the garlic and ginger and finely chop the chillies. Add the garlic, ginger and chillies to the pan along with the spices and fry for 2 minutes.
- Dice the tomatoes, add them to the pan and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Once the lentils are done, transfer the onion mixture to the saucepan with the lentils and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To finish, pick the leaves off the coriander, roughly chop them and stir them into the dhal along with generous pinches of salt and pepper, then serve. Yum!