Spaghetti carbonara. A true classic in every sense of the word.
It’s a dish filled with history and tradition. And traditionally it’s not vegan! Obviously.
But that’s never stopped us before.
Our vegan carbonara is totally fuss-free and – if you’re vegan – it has everything you remember from the traditional carbonara.
We create a smokey mushroom ‘bacon’, which is tangy and sweet, and balances perfectly with the creamy almond sauce.
If you’re not vegan, this recipe is a great switch if you’re simply looking to reduce your intake of meat and dairy.
Enjoy! Oh, and btw, do you follow us on YouTube? Head over there and subscribe to find exclusive videos and recipes.
Roxy & Ben
Vegan Spaghetti Carbonara
Our smokey mushroom ‘bacon’ takes this Spaghetti Carbonara to the next level 😍Posted by So Vegan on Thursday, 24 October 2019
Vegan Spaghetti CarbonaraBen, So Vegan Spaghetti carbonara. A true classic in every sense of the word. It’s a dish filled with history and tradition. And traditionally it’s… Print This
For the mushroom bacon:
- 160g / 5.6oz chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
For the almond sauce:
- 100g / 3.5oz blanched almonds
- 220ml / 7.5 fl.oz almond milk
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp white miso paste
- 1 lemon
You’ll also need:
- 200g spaghetti
- 120g / 4.2oz frozen peas
- vegan parmesan
- handful of fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 390°F and line a large tray with baking paper.
- Add the soy sauce, olive oil, maple syrup, tomato puree, smoked paprika, and pinches of salt and pepper, to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Roughly slice the mushrooms, then transfer to the mixing bowl and combine together until the mushrooms are fully coated in the sauce.
- Transfer the mushrooms to the lined baking tray, spread out evenly and bake for 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas to a bowl and cover with hot water from the kettle. Leave to one side for the peas to thaw.
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions, then drain and leave to one side.
- A few minutes before the mushrooms are ready, add the almonds, almond milk, miso paste, juice from the lemon and a generous pinch of pepper to a fast-powered blender. Peel the garlic and add it to the blender, too, then blitz everything together until the sauce is completely smooth.
- Pour the almond sauce into a pan over a low-medium heat. Drain the peas and add them to the sauce. Give everything a stir. As soon as the sauce is hot enough to serve, add the drained pasta and stir everything well to combine.
- Next add the mushroom bacon and give everything a final stir.
- Serve the pasta in bowls and top with a generous helping of vegan parmesan and fresh parsley leaves. Yum!