Vegan Spaghetti Carbonara
Our smokey mushroom ‘bacon’ takes this Spaghetti Carbonara to the next level 😍Posted by So Vegan on Thursday, 24 October 2019
For the mushroom bacon:
- 160g / 5.6oz chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
For the almond sauce:
- 100g / 3.5oz blanched almonds
- 220ml / 7.5 fl.oz almond milk
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp white miso paste
- 1 lemon
You'll also need:
- 200g spaghetti
- 120g / 4.2oz frozen peas
- vegan parmesan
- handful of fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 390°F and line a large tray with baking paper.
- Add the soy sauce, olive oil, maple syrup, tomato puree, smoked paprika, and pinches of salt and pepper, to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Roughly slice the mushrooms, then transfer to the mixing bowl and combine together until the mushrooms are fully coated in the sauce.
- Transfer the mushrooms to the lined baking tray, spread out evenly and bake for 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas to a bowl and cover with hot water from the kettle. Leave to one side for the peas to thaw.
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions, then drain and leave to one side.
- A few minutes before the mushrooms are ready, add the almonds, almond milk, miso paste, juice from the lemon and a generous pinch of pepper to a fast-powered blender. Peel the garlic and add it to the blender, too, then blitz everything together until the sauce is completely smooth.
- Pour the almond sauce into a pan over a low-medium heat. Drain the peas and add them to the sauce. Give everything a stir. As soon as the sauce is hot enough to serve, add the drained pasta and stir everything well to combine.
- Next add the mushroom bacon and give everything a final stir.
- Serve the pasta in bowls and top with a generous helping of vegan parmesan and fresh parsley leaves. Yum!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!