- If you have a little extra time, try soaking the cashews for longer which will to create an even creamier sauce.
- We love to use pappardelle or linguine pasta for this recipe but really any pasta will do.
- 100 g (3.5 oz) cashews, plus a small handful for toasting
- olive oil
- 250 g (8.8 oz) mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves
- 160 g (5.6 oz) pasta, we use linguine or pappardelle
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- apple cider vinegar
- salt + pepper
- Transfer the cashews to a bowl and cover them in hot water from a kettle. Leave them to one side to soak while you whizz through the next steps.
- Add a small drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan on a medium heat. Slice the mushrooms roughly 5mm thick (approx 1/3 inch), then add them to the pan and fry for 8 minutes.
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions, then drain. Make sure you save the pasta water for later.
- Peel and thinly slice the garlic, add them to the pan and fry for 3 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Meanwhile, toast a small handful of cashews in separate frying pan on a medium heat. They’ll take 3-5 minutes to turn a lovely golden brown.
- Drain the soaked cashews and add them to a blender, along with the nutritional yeast, 250ml (1 cup) of pasta water, 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth, then taste and add extra seasoning if necessary.
- Pour the creamy sauce over the mushrooms, then add the drained pasta and stir to combine everything in the sauce.
- Serve with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, freshly ground black pepper and the toasted cashews.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!