- If you have a little extra time, try soaking the cashews for longer which will to create an even creamier sauce.
- We love to use pappardelle or linguine pasta for this recipe but really any pasta will do.
5-Ingredient Creamy Mushroom PastaBen, So Vegan Quick. Easy. Tasty. This 5-ingredient creamy mushroom pasta is exactly our kind of food. Be generous with the seasoning. We serve our pasta with some extra freshly ground black pepper. Print This
The 5 ingredients:
- 180g (6.3oz) pasta (linguine or pappardelle)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 20g (1/2 cup) nutritional yeast
- 100g (2/3 cup) cashews, plus a small handful for toasting
- 250g (9oz) mushrooms
The cupboard essentials:
- olive oil
- extra virgin olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- Transfer the cashews to a bowl and cover them in hot water from a kettle. Leave them to one side to soak while you whizz through the next steps.
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions, making sure you save the pasta water for later.
- Add a small drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan on a medium heat. Slice the mushrooms roughly 5mm thick (approx ⅓ inch), then add them to the pan and fry for 8 minutes.
- Peel and thinly slice the garlic, add them to the pan and fry for 3 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Meanwhile, toast a small handful of cashews in separate frying pan on a medium heat. They’ll take 3-5 minutes to turn a lovely golden brown.
- Drain the pasta, saving the pasta water in a bowl below.
- Add the 100g (2/3 cup) of cashews to a blender, along with the nutritional yeast, 250ml (1 cup) of pasta water, ½ tsp of apple cider vinegar and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth, then taste and add extra seasoning if necessary.
- Pour the creamy sauce over the mushrooms, then add the drained pasta and stir to combine everything in the sauce.
- Serve with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, freshly ground black pepper and the toasted cashews.