The miso paste adds a serious amount of depth to this gorgeous tomato and sausage pasta sauce.
- Make sure you use gluten-free sausages and pasta to make this recipe gluten-free.
- We use brown-rice miso paste but any variety will work well. Alternatively you can use soy-sauce.
- olive oil
- 3 vegan sausages
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tin of whole tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of miso paste, see notes
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 160 g (5.6 oz) penne pasta
- salt + pepper
- handful of fresh basil, plus extra for decorating
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Meanwhile, diagonally cut the sausages into 5mm thick slices, add them to the frying pan and fry for 10 minutes until the sausages are golden brown and crispy (turn them halfway through to make sure they're crispy on both sides).
- Add the tinned tomatoes, miso paste and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar to the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes, leaving the tomatoes to break down by themselves into the sauce.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta as per the packet instructions with a pinch of salt, then drain.
- Season the sausage mixture with a generous pinch of black pepper and use the back of a wooden spoon to break down the tomatoes into the sauce. Then stir in the drained pasta and fresh basil until fully coated in the sauce.
- Divide the sausage pasta between two serving bowls. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and garnish with a few basil leaves.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!