Soft and spiced apples encased in flaky puff pastry: this apple turnover twist is the perfect festive sharer. Oh, and it only requires 8 ingredients!
- You’ll be left with some leftover pastry, which we usually put to good use in another recipe such as pies, wellingtons or even puff-pastry pizzas! It’ll last for a couple of days if you store it in the fridge in an air-tight container.
- Lots of different varieties of apple will work in this recipe: Braeburn or pink lady will work well, or Honey Crisp if you’re in the US.
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 2 applies, peeled, seeds removed + finely diced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, plus extra for decoration
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch in the US)
- 2 x 320 g (11.3 oz) sheets of puff pastry, or gluten-free pastry
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan / 425°F.
- Place a small pan on a medium heat and melt the margarine. Add the apples, sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the cornflour and cook for a further minute.
- Roll out the sheets of pastry onto baking paper and use a large plate as a guide to cut a large circle out of each sheet of pastry. Discard the excess pastry (see notes).
- Spread the apple mixture over one of the circles of pastry leaving a 1cm border around the edge. Brush along the edge with plant-based milk.
- Place the second circle of pastry over the apple mixture and press down with your fingers to seal the edges.
- Place a small cup or glass (3 cm / 1” in diameter) in the middle of the turnover and use a sharp knife to cut the turnover into 8 slices around the glass. Then take each slice and twist it in the same direction as the last.
- Remove the cup or glass and brush the turnover with plant-based milk.
- Drag the turnover on it’s baking paper onto a baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove the turnover from the oven, leave to cool and enjoy.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!