Makes 2 Beeteroni Pizzas.
For the dough…
1 3/4 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
500g bread flour
1 tsp salt
For the sauce…
4 garlic cloves
Salt & pepper
1 tsp oregano
3/4 cup fresh basil
For the toppings…
2 large white onions
2 large beetroot
Additional flour and olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 220 celsius
2. Mix yeast, sugar, water in container and leave for 10 minutes for foam to form. Then add oil.
3. Sieve flour into bowl, add pinch of salt, add yeast mixture, and mix with wooden spoon. Once loosely combined, transfer dough to floured surface. Knead for 15 minutes.
4. Oil large bowl, place dough inside and cover with tea towel. Leave to rise for 50 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, place beetroots in saucepan with hot water. Simmer for 30 minutes, then peel and thinly slice once cooked.
6. Half the onions, remove skins and peel away each layer. Place layers on baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. After you remove the onions, turn up oven temperature to 240 celsius (or as hot as your oven will go).
7. Finely chop the garlic, add oil to pan and fry until tender. Add passata, seasoning, basil and gently simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
8. Transfer risen dough to floured surface and divide in two. Using hands, shape the first dough to be round and then roll out further using rolling pin, rotating regularly to create a circle. Repeat for second half.
9. Cover pizza bases with the passata sauce, then a layer of onion skins, and then a layer of beetroot slices. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
10. Transfer to baking tray or pizza stone (if available) and bake for 15 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and top with rocket. So yummy.