We used to absolutely adore snacking on these as kids. Our homemade version only requires 5 ingredients and they’re a serious treat.
- When you’re shopping for tinned coconut milk, make sure it’s full-fat coconut milk and give the tin a gentle shake in the store. If you can feel the cream has set at the top, then it’ll likely remain set when you get home. You can also place the tin of coconut milk in the fridge to help set the cream.
- We save the leftover coconut water for smoothies.
- You can substitute golden syrup for another type of syrup, such as maple or agave syrup.
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tin of coconut milk, cream only (see notes)
- 1.5 cups desiccated coconut, plus extra for decoration
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- pinch of salt
- 150 g (5.3 oz) dark chocolate, 70%, broken up
- Spoon out the cream from the top of the tin of coconut milk, discarding the water (see notes) and put it into a mixing bowl with the desiccated coconut, golden syrup and a pinch of salt. Stir and add more desiccated coconut if the mixture is too wet.
- Line a small tray with baking paper, then shape the mixture into 6 rectangles and place the coconut bars on the tray. Transfer the tray to the freezer and leave the bars to set for 1 hour.
- Once the bars are chilled and solid, pour hot water into a saucepan on a low heat and sit a heatproof bowl on top, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Add the chocolate to the bowl and melt.
- Remove the bars from the freezer. Sit each bar on a fork and use a spoon to coat them with the melted chocolate, then place on a rack to solidify.
- Finish with a sprinkling of desiccated coconut. You can store these in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!