Our winter salad combines crisp apples and sweet oranges with a cinnamon-spiced tangy dressing.
- Believe it or not, the oranges we buy in the UK (which are often imported from Spain) are usually at their best in winter months! But the seasonality will change depending on where you live.
- You can add your own twists to this salad: mix it up with different nuts (pecans and hazelnuts would also work well) and other varieties of greens (hardy greens like kale are great in the winter)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 100 g (3.5 oz) mixed leaves (i.e. spinach, rocket and baby red chard)
- 1 orange
- 1 red onion, peeled + sliced
- 1 apple, core removed + sliced
- 1 handful of pomegranate seeds
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the walnuts and pumpkin seeds to the pan and toast for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the mixed leaves, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds to a mixing bowl.
- Peel the orange, then place a bowl underneath your hands and slice the orange into segments while using the bowl to catch the leftover juice for the dressing. Then transfer the onion, orange and apple pieces to the mixing bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients together with the leftover juice from the orange. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and mix everything together.
- Serve the salad with a topping of pomegranate seeds.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!