We usually turn to this recipe on the weekend and serve the hash browns alongside fried vegetables, sautéed spinach and a generous dollop of ketchup!
- The vegan cheese we use is similar to cheddar cheese, so it’s not too overpowering.
- You can find ground flaxseeds at most health food stores and it’s a great substitute for eggs. We use the seeds in this recipe to create a flax egg, which helps bind all the ingredients together.
Cheesy Hash Browns
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 800 g (28.2 oz) potatoes, peeled
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled + chopped
- handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 100 g (3.5 oz) vegan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F.
- Make a flax egg by combining the ground flaxseeds with 2 tbsp of water in a small bowl and leave to one side so the mixture thickens.
- Meanwhile, grate the potatoes, then use a tea towel to remove as much moisture as possible by folding the towel around the grated potato and squeezing the excess water into a bowl.
- Add the potato to a mixing bowl, along with the carrot, onion, garlic, parsley, cheese, flax egg, chickpea flour and generous pinches of salt and pepper.
- Use a wooden spoon to combine all the ingredients together. Then take a small handful of the mixture and place it on a tray lined with baking paper. Shape the mixture into a small rectangle roughly 1 cm thick, then repeat until all of the mixture is used up.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the hash browns become golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
What are several began cheeses you use that have flavour?
Hey DevVonna. We used Sainsbury’s ‘cheddar’ vegan cheese here in the UK. Thanks!
These looks so great! Do you use ‘regular’ parsley or Italian/continental parsley?
Thanks Elisha! We use flat leaf (Italian) parsley.
Who’re the highest vogue fashions on this planet?
Can these be frozen? Before they’re cooked?
Hi Graz, we haven’t tried freezing them as we can never wait to eat them! But it should work well. Let us know how it goes. Best, Roxy
If I don’t have vegan cheese, is there something I can use instead?
They look delicious! Will definetly give it a try!
Hi guys egg not vegetarian so how make without egg hash brown?
Hi, I don’t think there is any egg in this recipe, you might be confused with the flax egg which is just flaxseed and water.
Hi I was just wondering what a good gf replacement would be for the chickpea flower?