We usually turn to this recipe on the weekend and serve the hash browns alongside fried vegetables, sautéed spinach and a generous dollop of ketchup!
- The vegan cheese we use is similar to cheddar cheese, so it’s not too overpowering.
- You can find ground flaxseeds at most health food stores and it’s a great substitute for eggs. We use the seeds in this recipe to create a flax egg, which helps bind all the ingredients together.
Cheesy Hash Browns
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 800 g (28.2 oz) potatoes, peeled
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled + chopped
- handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 100 g (3.5 oz) vegan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F.
- Make a flax egg by combining the ground flaxseeds with 2 tbsp of water in a small bowl and leave to one side so the mixture thickens.
- Meanwhile, grate the potatoes, then use a tea towel to remove as much moisture as possible by folding the towel around the grated potato and squeezing the excess water into a bowl.
- Add the potato to a mixing bowl, along with the carrot, onion, garlic, parsley, cheese, flax egg, chickpea flour and generous pinches of salt and pepper.
- Use a wooden spoon to combine all the ingredients together. Then take a small handful of the mixture and place it on a tray lined with baking paper. Shape the mixture into a small rectangle roughly 1 cm thick, then repeat until all of the mixture is used up.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the hash browns become golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!