- We love to use sourdough bread for this sandwich but you can also use gluten-free bread to make it gluten-free.
- Go for soy-free mayo and margarine to make this recipe soy-free.
Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Sandwich
Full recipe: sovegan.co/choona
Posted by So Vegan on Monday, 1 April 2019
For the chickpea 'tuna' mixture:
- 1 x 400g (14.1oz) tin of chickpeas
- 1 spring onion
- handful of fresh dill
- 125g (4.4oz) tinned sweetcorn (drained weight)
- 1 tbsp jarred capers, plus 1 tbsp juice from the jar
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- dairy-free spread / margarine
- handful of lettuce
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion
- small handful of salad cress
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, transfer them to a mixing bowl and mash them with a fork until mostly broken down.
- Thinly slice the spring onion and dill, and add both to the mixing bowl along with the sweetcorn, capers, caper juice, vegan mayo, lemon juice, mustard and pinches of salt and pepper. Stir until fully combined.
- Toast the slices of sourdough bread until golden brown and spread one side of each with dairy-free spread.
- Roughly chop the lettuce, cut the cherry tomatoes in half and thinly slice the red onion.
- To build the sandwiches, add the lettuce on top of two slices of toast, followed by the chickpea 'tuna' mixture, a few slices of tomatoes, red onion and finally a small handful of cress. Finish with the second slice of bread and use a sharp bread knife to slice the sandwich in half to serve. Enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!