- We use oat milk, which adds a subtle sweetness to the sauce. Although any plant-based milk would still work well.
- You can make this gluten-free by simply using gluten-free pasta. We use fusilli which perfectly wraps itself around the sauce, but you can use any variety of pasta you like.
- Freshly ground nutmeg will make all the difference here. Whole spices preserve their flavour so much better than ground spices.
Creamy Spinach PastaRoxy, So Vegan A simple high-protein creamy pasta which will take you less than 30 minutes Print This
- 70g / 2.5oz cashews
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch in the US)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- salt + pepper
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 120g / 4.2oz baby spinach
- 160g / 5.6oz pasta (or gluten-free pasta)
- Transfer the cashews to a small bowl and cover with hot water straight from the kettle. Leave to soak for 20 minutes.
- Next cook the pasta as per the packet instructions. Note: when you drain the pasta reserve roughly a cup of the pasta water for later.
- Drain the cashews and add them to a blender along with the plant-based milk, nutritional yeast, cornflour, nutmeg and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Next, drizzle a little olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot, fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the cashew sauce and spinach to the frying pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the sauce is hot and has thickened slightly and the spinach is wilted. Add a couple of tablespoons of reserved pasta water if needed to loosen the sauce. Now throw in the cooked pasta, taste, and season with salt and pepper to perfection.
- Divide the pasta between 2 serving bowls and finish with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of pepper.