We’ll find any excuse to add chickpeas to our favourite meals. Here we combine them with spices, yoghurt and mayo to create a truly epic sandwich.
- You can make this gluten-free using gluten-free bread.
- Feel free to add your own fillings! We usually add whatever salad ingredients we have lying around in the fridge.
- You can make the chickpea mixture ahead of time and store it in an air-tight container for 2 days in the fridge.
- olive oil
- 1 x 400g / 14.1oz tin of chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- salt + pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled + chopped
- 1 thumb of fresh ginger, peeled + chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, chopped
- 1.5 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup vegan plain yoghurt
- 4 slices of bread, or gluten-free bread
- mango chutney
- baby spinach leaves
- tomato, sliced
- cucumber, sliced
- red onion, sliced
- 1 small handful of fresh coriander
- First add some olive oil to a pan. Next add the chickpeas along with a pinch of salt and pepper and fry for 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, red chilli, ground cumin, paprika and tomato puree to the pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the chickpea mixture to a bowl and stir in the vegan mayonnaise and yoghurt.
- To serve, spread a little mango chutney over a slice of bread.
- Next add some spinach leaves followed by the chickpea masala mixture, then some slices of tomato, cucumber, red onion and finally a few coriander leaves.
- Close the sandwich with a second slice of bread. Repeat for the second sandwich.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!