- The tinned mixed beans we use usually contain pinto, kidney and haricot. But you can use any beans you like: black, borlotti and cannellini would also work.
- It’s important to use an oven-proof bowl when you bake the tortillas. We use a glass mixing bowl which can withstand temperatures up to 180°C / 356°F. You’ll also want to avoid over-baking the tortillas because otherwise they might stick to the bowls.
- We use fresh sweetcorn, which we cut off the cobs. But you can also use frozen sweetcorn – they might just take longer to toast in the pan.
- 1/2 red onion, peeled + sliced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- 2 large tortilla
- 200g / 7oz sweetcorn
- 1 x 400g / 14.1oz tin of mixed beans, drained + rinsed
- 2 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- salt + pepper
- 1 avocado, ripe + pitted
- 1 small handful of fresh coriander, chopped (plus extra for topping)
- 1 lime
- salt + pepper
- 2 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, chopped
- 2 gem lettuce, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 320°F fan. Add the red onion and red wine vinegar to a bowl, stir, then leave to pickle while you complete the next steps.
- Place two medium-sized oven-proof bowls upside down on a baking dish. Brush the bowls with olive oil, then place the tortillas over the bowls and mould them around the bowls. Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes or until crispy. Note: if you bake the tortillas too long, they might stick to the bowls.
- Toast the sweetcorn in a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat for 8 minutes or until they begin to char. Meanwhile, add a splash of olive oil to a separate pan on a medium heat. As soon as the oil is hot, add the beans, garlic, cumin, paprika and a pinch of salt. Stir, then cook for 5 minutes. Add a splash of water if the beans get too dry.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl with the coriander, juice from half of the lime and small pinches of salt and pepper. Then combine the tomato and chilli in a separate bowl with small pinches of salt and pepper to create a simple salsa.
- When you’re ready to build the taco bowls, add the lettuce, fried beans, toasted sweetcorn, salsa, pickled red onion and guacamole inside the crispy tortillas. Then sprinkle over some extra coriander and squeeze some fresh lime juice from the remaining half of lime on top. We also like to add a drizzle over olive oil, but this is optional.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!