Need to impress your friends with a simple and fun treat? Then look no further than these Loaded BBQ Jackfruit Nachos.
Jackfruit is the national fruit of Bangladesh and it’s a very underrated ingredient.
The BBQ jackfruit in this recipe requires only three ingredients, and once you’ve mastered this step you can try it in buns, sandwiches, pizzas and buddha bowls, as well as in these loaded nachos! We use Violife’s original cheese.
To make our cashew sour cream, we simply blend soaked cashews with water and a splash of lemon juice until smooth and runny
Loaded BBQ Jackfruit Nachos
- 200 g (7 oz) tortilla chips, suitable for vegans
- 2 x 565 g (19.9 oz) cans of jackfruit in brine
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 150 g (5.3 oz) vegan cheese, grated
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
For the topping:
- handful of coriander (cilantro), chopped
- handful of jalapeños, sliced
- cashew sour cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, then cut out the hard core. Some people discard the hard core, but we cut it thinly into stripes and use it in the recipe!
- Add the jackfruit, bbq sauce and water into a hot skillet and simmer for 20 minutes or until the jackfruit is soft and the sauce has thickened. Then shred the jackfruit by squashing it with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Start to layer the nachos in an ovenproof dish or pan. First lay two handfuls of tortilla chips, then half of the jackfruit, cheese, red onion and tomato. Then repeat for a second layer using up the remainder of the tortilla chips, jackfruit, cheese, red onion and tomato.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove the nachos from the oven and top with a handful of jalapeño and coriander (cilantro), and a serving of guacamole and sour cream.