Miso paste adds an incredible richness to these unbelievable cookies! They’re perfectly sweet and also have that lovely chewy texture you want from a cookie.
Honestly, these cookies are unreal.
- It’s best to leave the butter out to soften slightly before creaming with the sugar, otherwise you risk over-mixing the butter.
- If you can’t find light brown sugar, you can try substituting with demerara sugar.
- The cookies will harden as they cool, but they should still keep their lovely chewy texture.
- We use white miso paste, which is sweeter and slightly more mellow than darker miso pastes, but you can substitute either red or brown miso paste if that’s all you can find.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 120g (4.2oz) unsalted vegan butter or margarine, see notes
- 70g (2.5oz) granulated sugar
- 70g (2.5oz) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 200g (7.1oz) plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda, (baking soda in the US)
- 160g (5.6oz) 70% dark chocolate, chopped into chips
- Combine the ground flaxseed with 1.5 tbsp of water in a small bowl to create your flax egg. Leave to one side to thicken for a minute or so.
- Cream together the vegan butter and the sugar in a large mixing bowl by stirring with a wooden spoon until they’re combined.
- Next add the flax egg, vanilla extract and miso paste. Stir gently to combine and be careful not to over-mix.
- Now add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and most of the dark chocolate (save a handful of chips to add on top of the cookie balls). Stir to combine, then shape the dough into 8 evenly-sized balls.
- Place the remaining chocolate chips on top of the balls and push them into the dough, then transfer to a tray and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will create a chewier texture.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan / 350°F.
- When they’re ready, add the cookies to 2 large baking trays lined with baking paper (be sure to give them enough space so they don’t touch when they flatten out) and bake for 15-16 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Leave the cookies to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool for at least a further 15-20 minutes before eating. These will last for 2-3 days somewhere cool in an airtight container.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!