We cook the veggies in the oven to give this decadently creamy dish its comforting, ‘roasty’ flavour.
- You can easily make this gluten-free using gluten-free pasta.
- We use an unsweetened soy milk for this recipe, but you can use whichever plant-based milk you prefer. For example, if you want this to be a soy-free recipe, you can use oat or almond milk.
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, quartered
- salt + pepper
- olive oil
- linguine for 4 people, or gluten-free pasta
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F fan-assisted.
- Tear the leaves off the cauliflower and break it into florets. Slice any large florets into bite-sized pieces and slice the stem into 3 cm (1 inch) pieces. Transfer all of the cauliflower to a large tray.
- Add the onion and garlic cloves (both with their skin on) to the tray. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, drizzle with a splash of oil, and give everything a mix. Then roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked.
- As soon as the veggies have finished roasting, start cooking the pasta as per the packet instructions in a large saucepan. As soon as the pasta is almost al dente, add the frozen peas and stir for a minute or so until the peas have thawed, then drain and reserve some pasta water.
- Meanwhile, as soon as the onion and garlic have cooled slightly, remove their skins and add them to a blender. Then add a third of the florets and the sliced stem to the blender, along with the milk, mustard, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, maple syrup, nutmeg and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the creamy sauce into the saucepan. Add the remaining cauliflower and heat through on a medium heat for a minute, then add the cooked pasta and peas. Lower the heat, give everything a stir and loosen with pasta water until it's perfectly creamy, then remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!