- We use fusilli pasta, but you can use any pasta you like. In fact, you can make this gluten-free by simply using gluten-free pasta.
- We use an oat-based vegan single cream which is now really common in UK supermarkets. But you can substitute this for a soy-based cream. If neither of these are available, you can also use tinned coconut milk – the flavour profile will change but it’ll still be delicious!
- The spinach will take a couple of minutes to wilt so – at this stage – it’s important the pasta is still slightly firm so it doesn’t overcook in the pot.
- 1 onion, peeled + diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled + diced
- olive oil
- 500g / 17.6oz mushrooms, sliced
- 500ml / 17 fl.oz vegetable stock
- 350ml / 11.8 fl.oz hot water
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 350g / 10.5oz pasta (or gluten-free pasta)
- salt + pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan single cream (we use an oat-based cream)
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 200g / 7oz baby spinach
- 1 large handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a pot on a medium heat. As soon as the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic and fry for 6 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Next add the mushrooms and fry for 10 minutes or until there’s no longer any moisture from the mushrooms.
- Add the 500ml (17 fl.oz) of vegetable stock, as well as the mustard, pasta, generous pinches of salt and pepper, then top up with 350ml (17.8 fl.oz) of hot water from a kettle. Stir, bring to a simmer and cook with the lid on for 10 minutes. Give the pasta a stir every couple of minutes. After 7 minutes or so, if there’s still lots of water, try cooking the remainder of the time with the lid off.
- After 10 minutes the pasta should still be slightly firm. Then add the vegan single cream, lemon juice and spinach. Lower the heat and cook until the spinach is wilted and the pasta is cooked, then remove the pasta from the heat and stir in most of the parsley.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper and the remaining chopped parsley to serve.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 428kcal / Protein 14.7g / Fat 9.9g / Sat Fat 1.4g / Carbs 69.8g / Sugar 6.4g / Fibre 5.4g
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!