Jackfruit is a fantastic meat alternative in vegan cooking. It pulls apart just like shredded meat and it has a subtle sweetness, which goes perfectly with our choice of spices.
- You can easily make these gluten-free using gluten-free BBQ sauce and burger buns.
- Tinned jackfruit is now available in most large supermarkets. Alternatively you can also find it in Asian grocery stores.
- We love to serve these buns with an extra squeeze of BBQ sauce.
- 1 x 565 g (19.9 oz) tin of jackfruit in brine, drained + rinsed
- olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 burger buns, or gluten-free buns
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
For the coleslaw:
- 1 handful of red cabbage, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 lime, juice only
- salt + pepper
- Cut out the hard core from each piece of jackfruit and thinly slice the cores.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan, add all the jackfruit, along with the cumin, paprika and chilli powder, and fry for 2 minutes.
- Next add the BBQ sauce and cook on a low-medium heat for 20 minutes. As the sauce thickens, add 1/4 cup of water and continue to cook. When the jackfruit becomes tender, use a wooden mixing spoon to break it down into pulled jackfruit.
- To prepare the coleslaw, put the red cabbage, carrot, lime juice and pinches of salt and pepper into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- To serve, place a generous spoonful of pulled jackfruit on the bottom half of each burger bun, followed by a handful of coleslaw and coriander leaves. Put the other half of the bun on top.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!