A celebration of Caribbean flavours, this moist and sticky banana bread is infused with sweet raisins and lightly spiced rum. Just try not to devour it in one go!
- We use a 450g / 1lb loaf tin. To line a loaf tin, tear off a piece of baking paper, then use a pair of scissors to cut in from the corners so you can fold the paper into the tin.
- We find the flavour of the rum quite subtle, but you can add more or less depending on how strong you like the flavour. Simply compensate with more or less plant-based milk so the volume of liquid remains the same.
- To make this recipe alcohol free, replace the rum with three extra tbsp of plant-based milk.
- 4 tbsp raisins
- 3 tbsp dark rum, see notes
- 3 ripe bananas
- 150ml (5.1fl.oz) plant-based milk, we use soy milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 250g (8.8oz) plain flour
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, for glazing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 425°F and line a loaf tin with baking paper (see notes).
- Add the raisins to a small bowl and cover with the rum. Leave to soak while you complete the next few steps.
- Add 2 of the bananas to a mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Then add the milk, lemon juice and coconut oil, and stir to combine.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. Pour in the liquid mixture, along with the raisins and the rum, and stir gently to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a loaf tin. Slice the remaining banana lengthways, then place it on top and bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and leave it to rest for a few minutes in the tin, then carefully lift it out using the baking paper. While the bread is still hot, we like to brush it all over with the maple syrup. Then leave it to rest for another 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!