Our recipe uses ingredients you probably already have tucked away in your kitchen cupboards. It’s packed with fresh sweetness and subtle sourness, the perfect combination.
- You can use tamari instead of soy sauce if you want to make this gluten-free.
Simple Sweet + Sour Veg
- 4 servings of jasmine rice
- vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled + finely chopped
- 1 large thumb of ginger, peeled + finely chopped
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 onion, peeled + diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, or tamari for gluten-free
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 250 g (8.8 oz) pineapple chunks
- 200 ml (6.8 fl.oz) pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp cornflour, cornstarch in the US
- Cook the rice as per packet instructions, then keep the saucepan covered and leave it to one side.
- Meanwhile heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium to high heat. Once hot, fry the garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Then add in the cauliflower and onion, and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the red and green peppers and fry for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the soya sauce, apple cider vinegar, sugar, tomato puree and add to the frying pan along with the pineapple chunks and pineapple juice.
- Next in a small bowl combine the cornstarch with 2 tbsp water then add the mixture to the pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve the sweet and sour on a bed of rice.