Smoky, spicy and seriously comforting, for this pasta we use ‘minced’ mushrooms, which are cooked in a rich and creamy tomato sauce. Plant-based food doesn’t get much better than this!
- Simply use gluten-free pasta if you want to make this recipe gluten-free.
- We like to use the Nush or Violife brands of vegan cream cheese. Alternatively you could use coconut cream if you don’t mind adding a subtle coconut flavour to the pasta.
- If you can’t find chestnut mushrooms, you can use any other variety such as closed cup.
- 500g / 17.6oz chestnut mushrooms
- olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled + chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g / 14.1oz tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g / 14.1oz rigatoni, or gluten-free pasta
- 200g / 7oz vegan cream cheese, see notes
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- vegan parmesan, for serving (optional)
- Add the mushrooms to a food processor and blitz until they’ve broken down into small pieces, then leave to one side. Alternatively chop the mushrooms as small as possible.
- Drizzle a splash of olive oil into a large pan on a medium heat. Add the garlic, chilli flakes and smoked paprika. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the minced mushrooms, turn up the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes or until almost all the moisture has gone.
- Next pour in the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and a generous pinch of salt. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni in salted boiling water until al dente.
- Add the vegan cream cheese to the sauce and tear in the basil leaves. Stir and cook through for a minute.
- Then drain the rigatoni into the sauce using a slotted spoon, adding a small amount of pasta water as you go to loosen the sauce a bit further.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce, then serve and top with vegan parmesan.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!