We love this burger! The beetroot and beans give the patties a lovely earthy flavour, which we balance with spices and serve with fresh toppings.
- You can easily make this gluten-free using gluten-free breadcrumbs and buns.
- Instead of brown rice, you can also use an equal amount of another grain such as cooked farro or quinoa, which also contain lots of healthy nutrients.
- It’s important to strain as much moisture out of the cooked rice as possible, otherwise the burger mixture might be too wet.
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled + finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled + chopped
- 230 g (8.1 oz) cooked beetroot, grated (1 cup) see notes
- 2 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tins of black beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- salt + pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 burger buns, vegan mayonnaise, avocado, lettuce, tomato, gherkin
- Place the rice in a saucepan with 1.5 cups of water. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil, simmer for 30 minutes or until cooked, then leave for 5-10 minutes with lid off to let any moisture escape.
- Meanwhile, drizzle a generous glug of oil in a frying pan. Once hot, add the onion and cook until tender. Add the garlic and beetroot, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Place the black beans in a large bowl and mash until only a few whole beans remain.
- Add the rice, onion mix, walnuts, breadcrumbs, 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper, chilli flakes, paprika and cumin to the black beans. Combine the ingredients together, then shape the mixture to form 4 burgers.
- Drizzle a generous glug of oil in a frying pan on a medium heat, and once hot, fry the burgers for 6 minutes on each side (or until nicely browned).
- Meanwhile, cut the buns open and toast them on each side either in a toaster or under the grill.
- Assemble the burgers using the buns, vegan mayo, avocado, lettuce, tomato and gherkin and the beetroot burger patties.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!
this stuff is absolutely amazing!!!!!
[…] – The Beety Burger. It’s hearty, delicious and full of goodness. Recipe from, So Vegan. BEETY BURGERS Makes 4 Beety Burgers. Ingredients For the burgers… 1/3 cup brown rice 1 ½ cups […]