Inspired by the classic baba ganoush, we add soaked cashews to give this delicious dip its seriously smooth and creamy texture.
- We use extra virgin olive oil because it offers a more balanced flavour, but regular olive oil will also work.
- We cook the aubergine under the grill, but you can also cook it directly on a flame using a gas stove or on a BBQ. Simply cook the aubergine until the flesh is soft, which usually takes 20-30 minutes on a medium flame.
- 2 aubergines
- 40g (1.4oz) cashews
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- salt + pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Place the aubergines on a baking tray and prick each one a few times with a fork. Grill under a high heat for 45-50 minutes or until the aubergines are charred, turning halfway. Then remove them from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, transfer the cashews to a small bowl, cover with hot water from a kettle and leave to soak.
- Once cool enough to touch, peel and discard the aubergine skins, then place the flesh in a blender. Drain the cashews and add them to the blender along with the lemon juice, garlic, tahini, olive oil and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the aubergine dip to a serving plate and top with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkles of sumac, za'atar and chopped parsley if you like.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!