Our two not-so secret ingredients, Marmite and dark chocolate, give the chilli a lovely saltiness and richness, which blends really well with the sweetness from the tomatoes and peppers.
- If you can’t find Marmite, you can simply leave this out or add the same amount of soy sauce for a similar savoury flavour.
- This recipe is great for meal-prep. You could even freeze the chilli into batches, ready for when you need it.
- Opt for a soy-free yoghurt to make this recipe soy-free.
- coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 red chillies
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 80g / 2.8oz sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 3 x 400g / 14oz tins of beans (we use black, kidney and cannellini)
- 3 x 400g / 14oz tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Marmite
- 50g / 1.8oz dark chocolate, 70%
- 2 bell peppers (we use red and yellow)
- 1 lime
- large pinch of salt
- handful of fresh coriander (15g / 0.5oz)
- plain vegan yoghurt
- Heat a little coconut oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat. While the oil heats up, peel and slice the onion then fry for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel and dice the garlic and finely chop the chilli. Then add both to the pan along with the spices and fry for 1 minute.
- Remove any excess oil from the sun-dried tomatoes and roughly chop them, then add them to the pan and fry for a further minute.
- Meanwhile drain and rinse the beans, then transfer them to the pan along with the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, balsamic vinegar, Marmite and dark chocolate. Bring the chilli to the boil then leave to simmer with the lid on for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Then deseed and slice the peppers and add them to the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes without the lid on.
- Stir in the juice from the lime and season to taste with salt.
- To serve, pick the coriander leaves off their stalks and sprinkle them all over and finish with a spoonful of vegan yoghurt.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!