This gluten free pizza is nutritious and delicious, and the sweet potato twist is a speedier alternative to traditional crusts.
- We simply add oats to a blender and blend until fine to create the oat flour.
- We prefer to serve this pizza with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil but olive oil will do, too.
- Make sure you opt for a soy-free cheese to make this recipe soy-free.
For the base:
- 500g / 17.6oz sweet potato
- 2 cups oat flour (blended oats)
For the toppings:
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 chestnut mushrooms
- 1/2 red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- salt + pepper
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- a large handful of baby spinach
- a few fresh basil leaves
- 60g / 2.1oz vegan mozzarella
- First peel and dice the sweet potato. Then add it to a steamer and steam for 20 minutes until the potato is soft. Alternatively you can boil the sweet potatoes until soft.
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan / 425°F and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Transfer the soft sweet potato to a mixing bowl, leave to cool, then mash. Then add the oat flour and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Prepare a little water in a small bowl and use it to wet your fingers, then shape the sweet potato dough into a ball and place it on the lined baking tray. Dipping your hands in the water will make it easier to shape the dough without it sticking to your hands.
- Shape the dough into a circle roughly 0.5cm thick and smooth it out around the edges. Then bake the dough in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes until firm.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the toppings, peel and slice the red onion, slice the mushrooms and peppers and peel and dice the garlic. Then add them all to a mixing bowl along with the dried mixed herbs, chilli flakes, a drizzle of olive oil and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Combine until the veggies are fully coated in the seasoning.
- Once the dough is ready, remove it from the oven and spread the tomato puree over the top followed by a layer of spinach. Then lay the veggies all over. Next, slice the vegan mozzarella and spread the slices across the pizza. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Finish with a few basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.