Epic isn’t a word we use all that often, but here it feels perfectly appropriate.
This vegan crunchwrap supreme truly is an epic thing of beauty.
The walnut and bean mixture has a lovely kick, while the salad is super fresh and vibrant.
Sure it’s indulgent, but who cares?
If you’re looking at this thinking ‘how on earth do I do that?’, fret not.
This recipe is actually fairly straightforward and it’s all totally worth it.
And don’t forget, if you love simple and tasty vegan food, then you’ll totally love our debut 5-ingredient cookbook So Vegan in 5, which is available to buy right now.
Roxy & Ben
Vegan Crunchwrap SupremeRoxy, So Vegan Epic isn’t a word we use all that often, but here it feels perfectly appropriate. This vegan crunchwrap supreme truly is an… Print This
For the bean mixture:
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400g / 14oz tinned black beans
- 160g / 5.6oz cherry tomatoes
- 50g / 1.7oz sun-dried tomatoes
- 50g / 1.7oz walnuts
- 80g / 2.8oz tinned sweetcorn
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
For the salad:
- 6 lettuce leaves
- handful of red cabbage
- large handful of coriander
- 1 spring onion
- 1 lime
- salt & pepper
You’ll also need:
- 100g vegan cheese
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 4 small flour tortillas
- chilli sauce
- 1 avocado
For the sour cream (optional):
- 80g / 2.8oz cashews
- 1/2 lime
- salt & pepper
- If you’re making the sour cream from scratch, transfer the cashews to a small bowl and cover with hot water straight from the kettle. Leave to one side to soften while you carry out the next steps.
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat and drizzle a little olive oil in the pan. While the pan heats up, peel and dice the garlic cloves, then add to the frying pan and fry for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse the black beans, quarter the cherry tomatoes, roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes and walnuts, and add everything to the frying pan along with the tinned sweetcorn, cumin, paprika, chilli powder and a 1/4 cup of water. Stir to combine, then leave to simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt to perfection.
- To prepare the salad, roughly chop the lettuce leaves, red cabbage, coriander and spring onion, and add to a mixing bowl along with the juice from the lime and pinches of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- To make the sour cream, drain the cashews and add them to a blender along with juice of 1/2 a lime, pinches of salt and pepper and a 1/4 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- Next grate the cheese and slice the avocado. Then check that the small tortilla is small enough so the large tortilla can be wrapped around it. We tend to trim the small tortillas around a side plate so that they are approx. 17cm (6.5 inches) in diameter.
- Place a large tortilla on the worktop and sprinkle grated cheese in the middle, then spoon half of the black bean mixture on top and finish with a small tortilla. Pour some chilli sauce and sour cream on top of the small tortilla, then add half of the salad mixture followed by half of the avocado. Finally finish with a small tortilla. Use your hands to push down on the crunchwrap a little to compress the ingredients, then fold in the edges of the large tortilla. Repeat for the second crunchwrap.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium – high heat. Once hot, gently pick up the crunchwrap supreme, making sure the folded edges are kept tightly closed, then place it in the frying pan folded edges side down. Fry on each side for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the crunchwrap from the pan and slice in half. Repeat for the second crunchwrap then serve with your favourite sauce.