Oil free, gluten free, vegan and totally delicious, we’re very proud of these quinoa choc chip cookies.
They’re soft and gooey, and the perfect wholesome treat.
Gobble them down for breakfast, after dinner or simply take them with you for an on-the-go snack.
The quinoa, banana, oats and almond butter deliver lots of much-needed nutrition, as well as a lovely texture.
And don’t forget, if you love simple and tasty vegan food, then you’ll totally love our debut 5-ingredient cookbook So Vegan in 5, which is available to buy right now.
Gluten-free and oil-free Quinoa Choc Chip Cookies 🍪
Posted by So Vegan on Thursday, 2 May 2019
- 2 tbsp raw quinoa
- 1 ripe banana
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- 70g / 2.5oz oats
- 35g / 1.25oz oat flour (or blend 35g oats in a high speed blender to make oat flour)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g / 2.1oz dark chocolate
- Rinse the raw quinoa in cold water then transfer to a small saucepan along with 6 tbsp of water. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, transfer to a bowl and leave to cool before carrying out the next steps. It's important there's no water remaining in the quinoa otherwise your cookie dough might be too soggy.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F fan assisted and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Peel the banana and add the flesh to a large mixing bowl. Mash with a fork until smooth and runny. Then add the cooked quinoa, maple syrup, almond butter, oats, oat flour and bicarbonate of soda, and stir until fully combined.
- Roughly chop the dark chocolate into small pieces and add to the mixing bowl, but set aside a small handful of chocolate pieces for later.
- Give the mix another stir, then divide into 6 and roll each piece into a ball. Place each ball on the lined baking tray and flatten out into a round cookie shape with your fingers. Tip: wet your fingers with a little water to avoid the cookie mixture sticking to your hands. Then push the remaining pieces of dark chocolate into the cookies.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 12 -15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and leave to cool before devouring. These will last for up to 5 days in an air-tight container, ideally somewhere cool.