- Not all Thai curry paste is vegan. It’s always worth checking the label because some brands will include shrimp paste and other unwanted ingredients. But don’t fret because lots of supermarkets will stock a vegan-friendly version.
- Some brands of firm tofu will contain lots of moisture and they’ll require pressing underneath a heavy object. Other brands will simply require squeezing between your hands.
- You can make these gluten-free by using tamari instead of soy sauce, as well as using gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Vegan Thai Fishcakes
Vegan Thai Fishcakes 🔥 Our new cookbook ONE POT VEGAN is out in less than 3 weeks! We’re planting a tree in the Amazon for every pre-order. Order your copy today 👉 sovegan.co/onepvPosted by So Vegan on Wednesday, 8 July 2020
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 400g / 14oz firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 x 400g /14oz tins of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 sheets of nori, torn
- 3 tbsp red Thai curry paste (vegan-friendly)
- 1 small thumb of fresh ginger, peeled and diced
- 4 spring onion, sliced
- 1 large handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- salt + pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced into ribbons
- 1 carrot, sliced into ribbons
- 10 radish, sliced
- 1 handful of pea shoots
- sweet chilli sauce
- Add the chia seeds to a small bowl along with 4 tbsp water. Stir, then leave to sit for a few minutes to form a chia egg.
- Add the tofu, chickpeas, soy sauce, nori, curry paste, ginger and chia egg to a food processor. Pulse until mostly broken down, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the spring onion, coriander and chilli to the mixing bowl, along with the zest from the lime, breadcrumbs and a pinch of pepper. Stir until fully combined. Then shape the mixture into 10 patties, place them on a tray and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Add a drizzle of oil to a frying pan on a medium – high heat. Fry the fishcakes in batches for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add the cucumber, carrot, radish and pea shoots to a mixing bowl with the juice from the lime and pinches of salt and pepper. Give it a good mix. Serve the vegan fishcakes alongside the salad and with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!