- You can use any dates. We use Medjool dates which have a richer and sweeter flavour, but they can be more expensive.
- We simply microwave our caramel to keep things super simple. But you can also combine the ingredients in a saucepan (see the method below for directions). If you microwave the caramel like we do, it’s usually best to let the caramel sit for 10 minutes or so before serving, as it will begin to thicken slightly the longer it cools.
- The red apples compliment the colour, but any variety will do. We usually use up whichever apples are lying around before popping to the shops to buy more.
- If you can’t find dark muscovado sugar, any type of brown sugar will do but the pudding might not have quite as much toffee-like flavour.
This Sticky Toffee Apple Pudding should come with a warning label. It’s impossible to stop eating! Our new cookbook ONE…Posted by So Vegan on Friday, 10 July 2020
- 200g / 7oz Medjool dates
- 50g / 1.7oz light brown sugar
- 50g / 1.7oz dark muscovado sugar
- 200g / 7oz plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 80g / 2.8oz vegan margarine
- 150ml / 5fl.oz plant-based milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 red apples
- vegan ice cream (optional)
For the toffee sauce
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 320°F fan-assisted and line the base and sides of a 9-inch square cake tin with baking paper.
- Remove and discard the stones from the dates and add the dates to a small mixing bowl. Cover with hot water straight from the kettle and leave to soak for 5-10 minutes while you carry out the next steps.
- Add the light brown sugar, muscovado sugar, plain flour, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Next melt the margarine in a microwave or in a pan, then add it to the mixing bowl along with the plant-based milk and vanilla extract.
- Drain the dates (they should be very soft now) then finely chop them until they reach a puree-like consistency. Add the dates to the mixing bowl and give the cake mix a good stir until all the ingredients are combined. Transfer the mixture to the pre-lined cake tin and level the top of the mixture with a spatula.
- Quarter the apples and remove the cores. Then cut the quarters into ½ cm thick slices and decorate the top of the cake with them. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, add the toffee sauce ingredients to a microwave-proof jug and microwave for 1 minute, then remove, stir, and microwave for a further minute. Note: it's important to let the caramel sit for 10 minutes to thicken before pouring it over the pudding. Alternatively, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat, whisking constantly for 5-6 minutes until the caramel has thickened.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before pulling out using the baking paper and place onto a chopping board. To serve, poor the toffee sauce all over and top with vegan ice cream.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!