Our idea of heaven? Cozying up on the sofa, watching our favourite film while tucking into a bowl of this incredible crumble.
- Technically you can use any variety of apple, but we love using Bramley for our crumble. They’re more acidic and sweeter, making them super delicious when stewed and baked.
- You can also leave the skins on if you prefer, but the texture won’t be as soft.
- Substitute plan flour for a gluten-free version if you want to make this gluten-free.
- To make this recipe soy-free avoid using soya milk and use another plant-based milk instead.
F or the apple and berry filling:
- 800g / 28.2oz Bramley apples
- 500g / 17.6oz mixed frozen Berries
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 lemon
- 5 tbsp light brown sugar
For the crumb:
- 120g / 4.2oz plain flour
- 100g / 3.5oz vegan margarine
- 100g / 3.5oz light brown sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 50g / 1.7oz rolled oats
For the custard:
- 500ml / 16.9 fl.oz soya milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp sugar
- pinch of turmeric (optional)
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Peel the apples, remove the cores and cut into bite-sized pieces. Then add the apples to a saucepan over a medium heat along with the remaining ingredients for the apple and berry mixture. Cook for 10 minutes or until the apples have started to soften a little, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile add all the crumb ingredients to a mixing bowl and use your fingertips to rub the margarine into the dry ingredients to form a crumb-like consistency.
- Next, preheat the oven to 200°C / 390°F fan.
- Transfer the apple and berry mixture to a 28cm x 18cm (11” x 7”) baking dish. Sprinkle the crumb all over and finish with an extra sprinkling of sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crumble is slightly golden and the fruit is bubbling.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the custard, add the soya milk, vanilla extract sugar and a pinch of turmeric to a saucepan on a medium heat. Next combine the cornflour in 2 tbsp water and stir until fully dissolved. Add the cornflour mixture to the pan and bring the custard to a gentle simmer. Whisk regularly and cook for 5 minutes until hot and thickened. Add a pinch more turmeric if needed for a more yellow colour.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!